I can’t believe it is already October. BlissDom Canada starts in two sleeps.
I remember buying my ticket for BlissDom back in April when they first went on sale. Staring at my laptop and hitting refresh until sales opened and I giddily grabbed an early bird ticket.
I was at BlissDom in 2012 so I know the benefit of attending this conference, and I was so happy back in April when I made the first step to attending this year.
Last year, I strengthened old relationships, made new ones and even met some fellow bloggers and entrepreneurs that I get to see here in Edmonton every now and then. I gained valuable experience when I sat in on my micro sessions lead by Loukia, Maureen Dennis and Elan Morgan and I still use a lot of their tips today. I also got the chance to catch up with some great PR connections that I don’t normally get the chance to see face to face since I am located in Alberta.
Then there were the speakers, guests and parties. If you have a ticket and this is your first year, be excited. You will waste too much time worrying about if you will chat with anyone. Just know that we are all there to learn and connect.
This is coming from the person who may or may not have blurted out Erica Ehm‘s name as she walked by just to get the chance to say hello. I’m not saying I did that, but if I did, let me tell you, she is totally awesome in person.
Here are my tips for getting what you want out of the BlissDom Canada conference:
- Make a list of what you want to see, do, learn, etc: If it is
blurtingsaying hello to someone you have always wanted to talk to, write it down. If you want a picture with someone who has inspired you to start blogging, write it down. If it is asking a question you have always wanted to know from a mentor, write it down.
- Cross the items off your list one by one: Take a deep breath and just do it – I DARE YOU! I guarantee you will be happy you did it while you are at the conference instead of tweeting “we never got to meet up, next time” after. Have you seen the members in the Facebook group? They are amazing. So much learning takes place and all of these men and women are so welcoming and kind. Remember, we are all there to connect, learn and grow.
- Check the hashtag often: #BlissDomCA If you are on your own, chances are some things like dinner plans are a little scary. Check the hashtag about 1 hour before breaks to see if anyone else is looking to hang out, or if there are people offering more seats at their table. Dinner is most fun when you’ve crammed as many people as you can fit into a table. Unless I am heading into a specific meeting or am crossing an item off of my BlissDom Bucket List (my phrase, you saw it here first, I’m keeping it), I am usually tweeting out where I’ll be for dinner and if you tweet me back and want to join, you are welcome.
- Bring your business cards: This has been said a lot, but it is important. If you do the first three tips, you will be meeting a lot of crazy-amazing people. Exchanging business cards is a great way of remembering everyone after the conference is over and you have decompressed back into reality.
- Bring YOU: Be yourself, smile and enjoy the moments because BlissDom is one fun ride.
So I’ll be packing now for the next day and a half and I’m wearing my sweats to pick my daughter from school because I am NOT doing laundry again before I go. All of my nice clothes are off limits until Thursday.
Can’t wait to see you all there.